College students often decide to transfer from one institution to another while completing a degree. Rainy River Community College and the Minnesota State system work together to make transferring easier. All state colleges and universities are accredited and offer the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum, a package of general education courses accepted for transfer to other state colleges and universities.
Plan ahead if you might want to transfer someday, and work with your RRCC advisor. Some programs and courses are not designed for transfer, so be sure to ask before you register for classes. Rainy River Community College's Transfer Credit Policy and Procedure and Transfer Credit Evaluation Appeal forms are available here.
Degree, Diploma, and Certificate Descriptions
Associate of Arts Degree. An associate of arts degree is awarded upon completion of a 60 minimum credit academic program in the liberal arts and sciences without a named field of study. It is designed for transfer to baccalaureate degree-granting institutions.
Associate of Science Degree. An associate of science degree is awarded upon completion of a 60 minimum credit academic program in scientific, technological, or other professional fields designed to transfer in its entirety to a related baccalaureate program by way of an articulation agreement between specific colleges and universities.
Associate of Applied Science Degree. An associate of applied science degree is awarded upon completion of a 60 minimum credit academic program in a named field of study in scientific, technological or other professional field. This degree is not designed for transfer; however, articulation agreements may exist whereby at least part or all of this degree transfers between specific colleges and universities.
Diploma. A diploma program may have an occupational outcome or address a focused area of study. Diplomas are typically not designed for transfer unless articulation agreements exist between specific colleges and/or universities.
Certificate. A certificate program may have an occupational outcome or address a focused area of study. Certificates are typically not designed for transfer unless articulation agreements exist between specific colleges and/or universities.
Helpful Transfer Information Links
- Transferology - A nation-wide network designed to help students answer the question "Will my courses transfer?"
- Transfer Action Plan - To help you explore your transfer options.
- Minnesota Transfer - Your connection to resources about transfer options.
- Advanced Placement (AP) - AP classes are offered in most high schools throughout Minnesota, and offer rigorous course content in many areas. Through AP Exams, students have the opportunity to earn credit or advanced standing at most of the nation's colleges and universities.
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP) - A College Board program that allows students to earn college credit by demonstrating their mastery of college-level material in introductory subjects.
- Veterans Education Transfer System - An online application that helps past, present and future servicemen and servicewomen determine how their military training can count for credit at Minnesota State Colleges and Universities institutions.
- RRCC Transfer Credit Policy | Procedure
- RRCC Transfer Credit Evaluation Appeal Form
- RRCC AA and Minnesota Transfer Curriculum
- Transcript Request Form
- MN State Board Policy 3.21: Undergraduate Course Credit Transfer
- MN State Procedure 3.21.1: Undergraduate Course Credit Transfer/System Level Appeal Process
- MN State Board Policy 3.39: Transfer Rights and Responsibilities
Helpful Career Information Links
- CAREERwise Education - Explore careers, plan your education, find a job!
- GPS LifePlan - Helps students set goals and design plans that will lead them to the success they desire. This program has the flexibility to be used by students of all ages and at all stages. Explore the website to learn more about the five Plans (Career, Education, Finance, Leadership and Personal) and discover how they might help you.
- Registration Office