Become a Resident Advisor (R/A) at Rainy Hall
RESIDENT ADVISOR JOB DESCRIPTION
General Terms and Conditions
- Must possess a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater and maintain a 2.0 semester GPA during the entire employment period. Failure to meet these academic requirements may result in termination.
- Must maintain a full time course load (12 units/credits). Students should not be enrolled in more than 16 units per semester without permission from the Resident Director.
- Must be in good judicial standing and maintain this standing throughout employment. Failure to do so may result in immediate termination.
- Must adhere to the RA Job Description and accept the conditions/expectations as stated in trainings and Handbook.
- A Rainy River College Student with a minimum of 12 completed units as well as residential/group living experience preferred.
The RA appointment is for the Fall and Spring semesters of a given academic year. An RA must apply each year for employment.
- RAs hired for the Fall & Spring 2014-2015 academic semesters will be selected in the Spring Semester prior to their appointment.
- RAs must expect to be the first to arrive and last to leave Rainy Hall during the academic year.
- The employment period for RAs hired to work for the 2014-2015 academic year includes the Fall and Spring 2014-2015 academic semesters and the following additional dates.
- 2014 Fall Training (Training begins at 10 am on Monday August 18th)
- Any check out processes prior to breaks and complete end of the year check out responsibilities.
NOTE: RAs must not schedule campus departures without first confirming work expectations with Director, this includes catching rides or flights for breaks.
Other Employment and Extracurricular Activities
- RA visibility and participation in residential areas is of the utmost importance. Outside activities, offices and employment (excluding most academic commitments) which do not prevent the RA from fulfilling any of the terms of employment, shall not exceed 10 hours per week and are subject to the approval by the Resident Director.
- RAs will be expected to adjust their outside commitments/secondary schedules to accommodate required Resident Advisor meetings and programs.
- RAs must have/use a phone message system. Messages should be checked on a regular basis.
- RAs must have an active e-mail account and will be expected to check it on a daily basis and respond when appropriate.
- RAs duty hours will be as follows:
- Staff meetings, floor and/or building meetings when planned
- Weekend Duty Office Hours -Every 3rd weekend (15 hours total each weekend)
- Floor interaction and special programs
- Other administrative functions
- On-call Emergency phone which is carried at the start of your Friday evening shift until the beginning of the following Friday shift.
- Required to attend weekly staff meetings of one hour duration. Day to be determined. Staff members should adjust their class schedules accordingly. Any exceptions must be approved by the Resident Director. Additional meeting time may be necessary for activity development.
- Must attend regularly scheduled “One on One” contact meeting with Resident Director
- If an emergency action occurs, meeting will follow as soon as possible.
Paperwork and Office Extras
- Must complete administrative tasks on a regular basis. Assignments are expected to be timely and organized. All specific paperwork will be discussed in training and weekly meetings.
- Complete posted checklist for office hours which includes cleaning, floor checks, security….
Community Development and Programming
- Encourage students’ personal, social and academic development. This includes: knowing all members of the living area, spending a significant amount of visible time in the community, accurately assessing the needs of the community, and serving as a campus resource.
- Mediate conflict situations when needed (roommate conflicts, community issues, etc).
- Provide peer counseling to residents and make referrals when necessary.
- Maintain confidentiality and objectivity when working with residents and staff members.
- Encourage residents to be responsible for their own behavior, and for the community, by serving as a positive role model.
- Respond to and document all inappropriate student behavior and violations of campus policies and procedures as outlined in the Resident’s Guide.
- Develop a strong rapport and working relationship with other Resident Advisors.
- While Resident Advisors may not always be on duty, they are expected to maintain a majority of hours “in residence.” Must reside and sleep in their assigned housing space.
- RAs should consult with their supervisor regarding weekends away from the residence halls. RAs should expect to stay the majority of weekends in residence.
- RAs are expected to plan and implement hall activities and events (minimum of 2 per month).
2. RA’s must keep bulletin boards up to date and change contents once per month.
3. RAs will be expected to work on planning and implementing orientation week events.
Safety and Security
- Duty coverage over breaks will have an adjusted schedule; RAs must be aware of their assigned days which may affect their departure from campus.
- RAs have access to the master key for the sole purpose of addressing lockouts and emergencies.
- The master key is not to be lent out to residents or other non-staff members.
- Loss of the master key can result in disciplinary procedures including financial penalties associated with the re-keying and termination.
- Emergencies are unanticipated. RAs are expected to spend the necessary time needed to contact the Resident Director and help resolve a situation.
- RAs must encourage students to maintain the cleanliness of community living areas: game room, laundry, lobby, hallways, stairs, etc.
- RAs must adhere to, uphold, and enforce the rules and regulations of Rainy River Community College as covered in the student handbook, the housing contract and other applicable college rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- RAs are required to address and document suspected violations of policies or refer violations to appropriate staff.
- RAs must not possess, consume, or provide to other students alcohol or illegal drugs at any time. Use of tobacco is also prohibited. NO WARNINGS/FORFEIT OF JOB.
- RAs must be familiar with, adhere to, and actively support the college’s non-discrimination policy.
- Failure to follow policies may result in immediate termination.
Resident Advisors will receive room and board (in a double room) as compensation for their services.
Failure to meet job requirements may result in disciplinary procedures including written warnings, probation and termination depending on the seriousness of the violation. RAs are considered casual employees and may be reassigned or terminated without cause.
Housing Contact Information~
Rainy Hall Director
Rainy River Community College
1501 Highway 71
International Falls, MN 56649