PSEO Information Night
Wednesday, February 21 @ 6 PM ~ RRCC Library
Students and parents welcome!
Postsecondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) allows high school sophomores (limited basis-see below), juniors, and seniors to take courses, full- or part-time, at a postsecondary institution for high school and college credit. The program provides students with a greater variety of class offerings and the opportunity to pursue more challenging coursework than may be available at the high school. The tuition, fees, and required textbooks are at no cost to students.
Here's what our students say about PSEO at RRCC:
"I feel valued and respected as a student - my opinion matters to the teachers."
"PSEO at Rainy River Community College was such an amazing experience from start to finish."
"My schedule if flexible, I have more time during the day for homework and I miss less school for sports."
"I do a better job of reading for information, thinking critically and studying the right information for tests."
PSEO Eligibility Criteria
- You must be a high school sophomore, junior, or senior in good standing at a public, nonpublic, home school, or American Indian-controlled tribal school.
- Sophomores may enroll in one Career or Technical Education (CTE) course at a Minnesota State college or university if they have attained a passing score or met the 8th grade standard on the 8th grade Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment in reading and meet other course prerequisites or course enrollment standards established by the college. These standards include but are not limited to assessment test scores, program admission or other requirements.
- Juniors must be ranked in the top-third of their class, or have a 3.0 end-of-year cumulative GPA, or score at or above the 70th percentile on a test, such as the ACT or SAT. Students must test into college courses numbered 1000 or above on placement tests in reading, English, and math (if you are taking your math course at RRCC).
- Seniors must be ranked in the top-half of their class, or have a 2.5 end-of-year cumulative GPA, or score at or above the 50th percentile on the ACT or SAT. Students must test into college courses numbered 1000 or above on placement tests in reading, English, and math (if you are taking your math course at RRCC).
PSEO Admissions Steps
- Meet with your high school counselor to determine eligibility. If you meet the class rank and/or GPA requirement, proceed to step 2.
- Complete and sign the RRCC Application for Admission.
- Complete and sign the PSEO Program Notice of Student Registration (Part 1 and 2).
- Send the above two forms and your high school transcript (including class rank and/or GPA) to:
- PSEO Admissions
Rainy River Community College
1501 Highway 71
International Falls, MN 56649
- PSEO Admissions
- Schedule a date to take the required placement test by calling 218.285.7722. There is limited space, so call early for best selection. Assessment results will determine your course placement. You may retest one time. There is a fee to retest.
- After you have taken the assessment test, schedule a PSEO Registration Session by calling 218.285.7722
Concurrent Enrollment - College in the Schools
In Minnesota, concurrent enrollment courses are college courses offered at the high school, usually taught by a trained high school teacher. These are offered in partnership with a college or university. Students who successfully complete these courses generate both high school and transcripted college credit from the partnering postsecondary institution. Many people refer to these courses as College in the High School. There is no cost to the student to participate in these courses.
The Concurrent Enrollment Eligibility Criteria are the same as Post Secondary Enrollment Options (above).
Link to the MN Department of Education Post-secondary Enrollment Options webpage.
- Amy Amundsen