The TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) program is a federally funded program that provides academic and personal support to under-represented students.
Students make many changes when starting college. The extra attention and support from our TRIO staff can help make the transition smoother. We will assist you with your personal and academic goals, provide you with career guidance, connect you socially with other students, help you with transfer issues, enhance your study skills, and connect you with tutoring opportunities on campus. All services are provided FREE for eligible enrolled RRCC students!
Rainy River’s TRIO – Student Support Services Mission Statement. TRIO Student Support Services contributes to the five community college missions of the Northeast higher Education District and is committed to fostering a campus climate supportive of student success and academic achievement through outreach, advocacy, and collaboration.
TRIO Contact Information
- Amy Amundsen
TRIO SSS Eligibility
TRIO/SSS is open to student for whom one of the following criteria applies:
- Limited income based on federal financial aid
- First generation: neither parent has earned a four-year college degree
- Student with a disability - an individual with a disability or disabilities, including physical, mental, and/or emotional.
- Student who is homeless youth
- Student in, or aging out of, Foster Care
“Students in the TRIO Student Support Services program are more than twice as likely to remain in college as those students from similar backgrounds who did not participate in the program.” -Council for Opportunity in Education
SSS Core Beliefs
- Diversity - We celebrate the differences of all people because we recognize our differences not our similarities make us stronger.
- Integrity - We will at all times treat students and staff ethically, honestly, and openly.
- Collaboration - We will work with students to discover new ways of doing things and new ways of looking at things.
- Innovation - We will stay current of trends affecting our program and seek to add to the body of knowledge of trends affecting our program.
- Support - We will readily accept and give feedback to ideas offered by students, faculty, administrators, and staff.
- Atmosphere - We will strive to produce a secure and nurturing environment to foster educational and social progress for students.
TRIO SSS Services
- Career Assessment and Exploration. Students are assisted in finding solutions to personal goals and in developing an awareness of educational and career goals. Career and academic advisement is available on an individual basis. Students are required to participate in an intake process where your needs and career/interest goals are assessed.
- Graduation and Transfer Preparation Assistance. SSS provides intensive academic advisement and guidance to SSS students. At the time of their program intake meeting, each student develops and individualized academic plan with their SSS advisor so that they understand Rainy River’s program majors and Associate degree requirements.
- For those students seeking to continue on to earn a Bachelor’s degree, SSS staff can assist by walking students through their transfer preparations. Information and assistance on the transfer process early on is the key to a successful transfer. SSS staff can help students understand the importance of fulfilling RRCC degree requirements or the Minnesota transfer Curriculum and work with the 4-year transfer institution they plan to attend. Each year TRIO SSS takes students on a 4-year campus visit. Bemidji State University, University of Minnesota-Duluth, University of Wisconsin Superior, and the College of St. Scholastica have been our most recent trips.
- Financial Advocacy. TRIO SSS staff will assist you with getting to the resources you need to understand and work through the financial aid process and ultimately be better prepared to manage your own personal finances.
- Academic Workshops, Social and Cultural Events. Free for SSS members, various academic workshops are offered to help students become more independent, confident, and successful learners. Topics may include things like time management, scholarship writing, academic survival skills, appreciating diversity, managing your money, relaxation, leadership and staying motivated.
- Social and cultural events are offered to provide opportunities, for not only Rainy River students to get to know each other, but for our students to meet other college students within our regional grant and greater Minnesota.
- The Clifton Strengthfinder is the code that cracks open our awareness of our unique talents and strengths. This 30 minute online assessment will help TRIO students discover their TOP 5 talent these, along with action items for development and suggestions about how you can use your talents to achieve academic, career, and personal success.