This certificate program covers rules and regulations of the Federal Motor Carrier Administration. The program includes: classroom education, behind the wheel training, additional classes for commercial trucking, and general education classes suited towards the trucking industry.
Students will be able to:
- Define, describe, and demonstrate examples of compliance with MN state and federal driving laws.
- Demonstrate ability to drive safely and follow MN state and federal rules and regulations.
Demonstrate ability to make needed calculations and keep records
regarding fuel, load, cost per mile, distance and time, and service.
- Identify types of hazardous materials and describe regulations regarding packaging, loading, storage, and transport of hazardous materials.
- Demonstrate ability to perform a pre-trip inspection.
- Demonstrate communication and computer skills needed for customer service and record-keeping.
- Demonstrate first aid and CPR techniques.
Truck drivers and tractor-trailer jobs are forecasted to have a 13% increase in employment through 2018. Professional light truck drivers and those in sales are said to have the second highest increase in demand at 9% growth between 2008 and 2018. As economic growth occurs, there will be an increasing need for trucking services both state and nationwide.
- Jason Surface