Coach Contact Information
- Josh Koenig
- O: 218-285-2241 | C: 651-491-2805
Head Coach, Josh Koenig
Josh Koenig is excited about the baseball program at Rainy River Community College! The 2018 season marked another memorable season for the Voyageur Baseball team as they were crowned the MCAC Northern Division Champions! The teams’ continual improvement has helped them gain recognition as a one of the top programs in the MCAC Northern Division, the State of Minnesota, and in Region XIII.
overall record for Voyageur Baseball in 2018 was 20-17 overall placing
them 1st in the Northern Division of the MCAC with a conference record
of 12-4. Rainy River earned their 1st MCAC Northern Division
Championship and qualified for the NJCAA Region XIII tournament for the
4th time in 5 years! At the NJCAA Region XIII tournament, the Voyageurs
knocked off Northland before losing a close game 6-5 to Century College,
and then battled Rochester to a 6-5 loss in 13-innings to end the
The success and growth of the program continues as the Voyageurs were very successful both in and out of the classroom! The following honors and awards were named during the 2018 season:
- 2018 MCAC Pitchers of the Week – Tristan Lawrence, Kevin Alicea, and Jonathan Castellanos
- 2018 MCAC Players of the Week – Kevin Alicea and Luis Rodriguez
- 2018 MCAC All-Northern Division: 1st Team - Kevin Alicea, Tristan Lawrence, Keanu Calamayan and Luis Rodriguez
- 2018 MCAC All-Northern Division: Honorable Mention - Jonathan Castellanos, Giovanni Romo, Robert Ermel, and Jared Kromminga
- MCAC All-State: 1st Team - Kevin Alicea and Tristan Lawerence
- MCAC All-State: 2nd Team - Keanu Calamayan and Luis Rodriguez
- MCAC All-Academic team - Kevin Alicea, Luis Rodriguez, Jose Del Valle, Taylor Shaw, and Nelson Vargas Jr.
- MCAC Elite Team – Kevin Alicea and Luis Rodriguez
- MCAC Northern Division: Coach of the Year – Josh Koenig
- Rawlings Gold Glove Award - Tristan Lawrence
- NJCAA All-Region XIII Team - Kevin Alicea
Coach Koenig is entering his 10th year as Head Coach of the Voyageurs. Last season, he was named the MCAC Northern Division: Coach of the Year for the 2nd time in his career! (2013, 2018) Coach Koenig works at Falls High School where he currently teaches physical education, health, and adaptive physical education. Previously, he was the athletic director and coached basketball and baseball. In baseball, Koenig was an assistant coach working with pitchers and catchers in 2008 and 2009. While a part of this program, they won the Arrowhead Conference Championship in 2008 and had a program record team ERA of 2.97 and a team ERA of 2.38 in 2009.
In baseball, he has been involved at various levels to include Little League, VFW, Junior Legion, Senior Legion, various high schools, Minnesota Amateur baseball, and NCAA D1 college as a graduate assistant at the University of Minnesota highlighted by a 2002 Big Ten Championship. Koenig has also been very involved as an official for baseball. In 2009, he umpired the Little League Central Region Tournament in Indianapolis, IN and was selected to work behind the plate for the Great Lakes Region Finals, which was televised on ESPN. He umpired in 2011 at the Junior League Central Region Tournament in Ft. Wayne, IN as was again selected to work behind the plate for the Central Region Finals. He was selected to umpire in 2014 at the Senior League Central Region Tournament in Peru, IL where he was again selected to work the plate for the championship game. In 2016, he was honored and selected to work the Junior League World Series in Taylor, MI and worked in the World Series Championship game!
Coach Koenig enjoys spending time with his family as well as boating, hunting, fishing, and golf. He and his wife Shelly reside in International Falls with their children Garrett, Bryant and Alyana.
Awards & Honors
- Coached many MCAC Conference Players/Pitcher of the Week
- Coached 39 MCAC All-Academic players
- Coached 2 MCAC Elite Team players
- Coached 13 MCAC All-State players
- Coached 24 MCAC All-Northern Division players
- Coached 6 NJCAA National Players of the Week
- Coached 5 NJCAA Region XIII All-Region players
- Coached 1 NJCAA Region XIII Player of the Year
- Coached 1 Rawlings Gold Glove Award player
- Named MCAC Northern Division – Coach of the Year (2013 and 2018)
Assistant, Riley Acra
Riley Acra is entering his first year as an assistant coach at Rainy River Community College. Coach Acra, a native of Shawano, WI. He was a player for the Voyageur baseball program from 2011-2013. As a freshman, Riley was named Player of the Week where he batted .524 (11 for 21), scored 9 runs, and had 12 RBI with 8 singles, 2 doubles and a homerun. He was also named to the 2012 MCAC All-Division team. His sophomore season, he again earned Player of the Week honors and was also named to the 2013 MCAC All-Division and 2013 MCAC All-State teams. Defensively, Acra is one of the best infielders in the programs history with an overall field percentage of 97%! He and his team helped to pave the way for the future successes of the Voyageur baseball program!
Coach Acra then moved on for school and baseball at Graceland University (NAIA) in Lamonie, IA. He played for one year before moving back home to be near family and started working for the city of Shawano. Coach Acra continued to be involved with baseball as both a player and a coach. He was an assistant baseball coach at Shawano High School and currently plays Wisconsin State Amateur baseball for the Shawano Lobos.
In his spare time, he enjoys golfing and watching sports. Coach Acra is a diehard Packer, Badger and Brewers fan.He is looking forward to rejoining the Voyageur baseball program as a coach and helping to continue the winning traditions that he helped establish as a player. Coach Acra resides in International Falls, MN.
Assistant, Bill Sohlman
Bill Sohlman is entering his eighth year as an assistant coach at Rainy River Community College. Coach Sohlman, a native of International Falls, has been involved in baseball in the community since 1991. He has coached at a variety of levels from Little League through VFW. Through his many experiences in coaching, Coach Sohlman brings an expertise that is founded on solid fundamentals.
Coach Sohlman enjoys working out, walking, loves dogs, The Rolling Stones, and is a passionate Pittsburgh Steelers fan! He and his wife Susie reside in International Falls and have two children Travis and Chad. Their son Chad was a pitcher at Rainy River Community College from 2009-2011.