Coach Contact Information
- Josh Koenig
- O: 218-285-2241 | C: 651-491-2805
Head Coach, Josh Koenig
Josh Koenig is excited about the baseball program at Rainy River Community College! The 2018 season marked another memorable season for the Voyageur Baseball team as they were crowned the MCAC Northern Division Champions! The teams’ continual improvement has helped them gain recognition as a one of the top programs in the MCAC Northern Division, the State of Minnesota, and in Region XIII.
overall record for Voyageur Baseball in 2018 was 20-17 overall placing
them 1st in the Northern Division of the MCAC with a conference record
of 12-4. Rainy River earned their 1st MCAC Northern Division
Championship and qualified for the NJCAA Region XIII tournament for the
4th time in 5 years! At the NJCAA Region XIII tournament, the Voyageurs
knocked off Northland before losing a close game 6-5 to Century College,
and then battled Rochester to a 6-5 loss in 13-innings to end the
The success and growth of the program continues as the Voyageurs were very successful both in and out of the classroom! The following honors and awards were named during the 2018 season:
- 2018 MCAC Pitchers of the Week – Tristan Lawrence, Kevin Alicea, and Jonathan Castellanos
- 2018 MCAC Players of the Week – Kevin Alicea and Luis Rodriguez
- 2018 MCAC All-Northern Division: 1st Team - Kevin Alicea, Tristan Lawrence, Keanu Calamayan and Luis Rodriguez
- 2018 MCAC All-Northern Division: Honorable Mention - Jonathan Castellanos, Giovanni Romo, Robert Ermel, and Jared Kromminga
- MCAC All-State: 1st Team - Kevin Alicea and Tristan Lawerence
- MCAC All-State: 2nd Team - Keanu Calamayan and Luis Rodriguez
- MCAC All-Academic team - Kevin Alicea, Luis Rodriguez, Jose Del Valle, Taylor Shaw, and Nelson Vargas Jr.
- MCAC Elite Team – Kevin Alicea and Luis Rodriguez
- MCAC Northern Division: Coach of the Year – Josh Koenig
- Rawlings Gold Glove Award - Tristan Lawrence
- NJCAA All-Region XIII Team - Kevin Alicea
Coach Koenig is entering his 10th year as Head Coach of the Voyageurs. Last season, he was named the MCAC Northern Division: Coach of the Year for the 2nd time in his career! (2013, 2018) Coach Koenig works at Falls High School where he currently teaches physical education, health, and adaptive physical education. Previously, he was the athletic director and coached basketball and baseball. In baseball, Koenig was an assistant coach working with pitchers and catchers in 2008 and 2009. While a part of this program, they won the Arrowhead Conference Championship in 2008 and had a program record team ERA of 2.97 and a team ERA of 2.38 in 2009.
In baseball, he has been involved at various levels to include Little League, VFW, Junior Legion, Senior Legion, various high schools, Minnesota Amateur baseball, and NCAA D1 college as a graduate assistant at the University of Minnesota highlighted by a 2002 Big Ten Championship. Koenig has also been very involved as an official for baseball. In 2009, he umpired the Little League Central Region Tournament in Indianapolis, IN and was selected to work behind the plate for the Great Lakes Region Finals, which was televised on ESPN. He umpired in 2011 at the Junior League Central Region Tournament in Ft. Wayne, IN as was again selected to work behind the plate for the Central Region Finals. He was selected to umpire in 2014 at the Senior League Central Region Tournament in Peru, IL where he was again selected to work the plate for the championship game. In 2016, he was honored and selected to work the Junior League World Series in Taylor, MI and worked in the World Series Championship game!
Coach Koenig enjoys spending time with his family as well as boating, hunting, fishing, and golf. He and his wife Shelly reside in International Falls with their children Garrett, Bryant and Alyana.
Awards & Honors
- Coached many MCAC Conference Players/Pitcher of the Week
- Coached 39 MCAC All-Academic players
- Coached 2 MCAC Elite Team players
- Coached 13 MCAC All-State players
- Coached 24 MCAC All-Northern Division players
- Coached 6 NJCAA National Players of the Week
- Coached 5 NJCAA Region XIII All-Region players
- Coached 1 NJCAA Region XIII Player of the Year
- Coached 1 Rawlings Gold Glove Award player
- Named MCAC Northern Division – Coach of the Year (2013 and 2018)